Pages

Tuesday, June 21, 2011

You Know

Nothing is at last sacred but the integrity of your own mind. Absolve you to yourself, and you shall have the suffrage of the world. - Ralph Waldo Emerson
~~~~~~~
Every day I realize that I don't know much about anything.  There is literally more information created in the last 20 years than ever existed in human history, so I don't feel bad about that fact.  Despite how little I know and the sheer volume of info, I make it a daily point to explore new ideas, read various perspectives, and reinforce those few things I do know.  The process of gathering new information always ends with two questions "What do I know about this?" and more importantly,  "What do I know about me?"


If you think about it, "What do I know about me?" is really the fundamental question.  Let's face it, escaping information would require herculean effort.  That's asking that you not take a weekend digital sabbatical, but get exiled from the digital world!  Quite frankly, Twitter is growing on me, I'm quite fond of Facebook, and the internet, well, the internet makes my soul smile... so, I am NOT leaving.  The only filter I have is knowing myself.  Am I critical and stable enough to read or see a new concept/idea without arbitrarily assigning expert status to the presenter?  On the other hand, can I give these ideas a fair chance to influence me if they contain truth?  

If everything you're exposed to causes you to change your ways,  you're standing on shifting sand.  While improving your life is a possibility, it's haphazard at best because many of your changes won't stick.  It's those that are critical, without being cynical, that create the lasting change; forming new habits to foster intentional growth. 


In response to...

We live in a society of advice columns, experts and make-over shows. Without even knowing it, you can begin to believe someone knows better than you how to live your life. Someone might know a particular something better – like how to bake a three-layer molten coconut chocolate cake or how to build a website – but nobody else on the planet knows how to live your life better than you. (Although one or two people may think they do.) For today, trying asking yourself often, especially before you make a choice, “What do I know about this?”

(Author: Jen Louden)

3 comments:

  1. I totally agree on your thoughts about 'shifting sands'. We have to be open minded, yet stay true to our ethical core beliefs once they are in place. We continue to grow, but in our own unique way. Thanks for sharing.
    Peace, Nico

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Interruption Exactly! How we integrate, accept, or reject the things we see or read is what makes us distinct from each other. Thanks for reading and commenting!

    V.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice take on a complex subject. For me, I try and simplify it this way; how does what I just experienced feel to me? It's taken quite some time but I've really learned to re-integrate and trust my feelings. You can't get any "closer to your own skin" than that.

    Thanks for sharing, sir!
    Rich

    ReplyDelete