Pages

Thursday, June 23, 2011

Enthusiasm

Trust thyself: every heart vibrates to that iron string. – Ralph Waldo Emerson
~~~~~~~

One trait that my life has made abundantly clear that I do not possess is discipline.  Don't worry, I've come to accept this.  If you live a life without discipline, it is essential that you have an abundance of positive energy and enthusiasm or you will accomplish very little.  Thankfully, I've been blessed with both in ample quantities.


One trick for me to get more enthusiastic about my work is to have it truly be my work!  I'm not self-employed which means that much of "my" work is given to me or guided by my supervisor. My strategy was to wait to tell my boss what I was working on.  Doing this allowed me to ride my enthusiasm towards creating my vision rather than my supervisor's.  **warning** This doesn't work in every scenario!


Harnessing my enthusiasm is also tied with doing work that matters.  I can't get revved up to alphabetize folders... unless those folders would save the life of a child!  Part of the meaning I take from life is tied to the work I do.  I want my work to impact people.  Seeing how my work can touch someone's life makes me want to create an experience they won't forget.


I understand that sometimes you just need to work where ever you can get a job, but if you have the capacity to choose, why work somewhere you don't get excited about?




In response to...

“Nothing great was ever achieved without enthusiasm.” is a great line from Emerson. If there’s no enthusiasm in what you do, it won’t be remarkable and certainly won’t connect with people on an emotional basis. But, if you put that magic energy into all of your work, you can create something that touches people on a deeper level. How can you bring MORE enthusiasm into your work? What do you have to think or believe about your work to be totally excited about it? Answer it now.

0 comments:

Post a Comment