Pages

Friday, June 10, 2011

Divine Idea

Imitation is Suicide. Insist on yourself; never imitate. – Ralph Waldo Emerson

Write down in which areas of your life you have to overcome these suicidal tendencies of imitation, and how you can transform them into a newborn you – one that doesn’t hide its uniqueness, but thrives on it. There is a “divine idea which each of us represents” – which is yours?

~~~~~~~

I may be off base here with my response but...

Who doesn't imitate?  When did imitation equate with suicidal tendencies?  I love to change things up in my life, based upon things I see, hear, and read.  That's how I improve.  It's by seeing examples of others that I see what can be different.  It's how I learn how much more I can do.  I think the idea of imitation is too broad.  I think imitation comes into play if I say, "I'm going to incorporate this into my life, just because this person (i.e. celebrity, colleague, friend) does it."  In my mind, that is a suicidal tendency.  My divine belief is that I need to continually strive to be a better man.  To do that, I think I have to imitate the things I see, not because this specific person does it, but because it has universal appeal.  Eventually, that "imitation" becomes "incorporation" as I take the good I see in others and make changes in myself to stay true to my divine belief.  

Imitation, in and of itself, is pure.  Neither good or bad.  The question is, how do you use it?

Today was a reminder that good health is an important aspect of life that must be pursued to maintain.


0 comments:

Post a Comment