Pages

Monday, June 20, 2011

Speak Less

What I must do is all that concerns me, not what the people think. This rule, equally arduous in actual and in intellectual life, may serve for the whole distinction between greatness and meanness. It is the harder, because you will always find those who think they know what is your duty better than you know I. - Ralph Waldo Emerson
~~~~~~~
I've been part of Trust30 since it started.  I've reflected on the prompts, written the posts, and read several other participants posts as well.  Despite all of that, it wasn't until I started to write this post that I realized that I have been sitting on, thinking about, dreaming about, discussing... essentially doing everything but writing!  I would write for a couple of days, then stop.  Start again later, then stop.  The funny thing is, for the longest time I didn't know why.


Several of my older posts came to mind, particularly the ones about fear and failure, and I realized (you can see where this is going) that I was afraid of failing.  At some level I didn't think I had anything to say; I haven't lived the life that the authors I follow have.  I haven't had similar experiences that motivated me to read their stories.  I would dream big and falter at how far I'd have to go.


This post has been a reminder that most often the things that stop us are internal.  We defeat ourselves before we start and sabotage ourselves as we progress.  Recently, a blog buddy of mine, Denise, wrote about having a "dream-inspired moment" and those are exactly what dreams are made of.  


In response to...
I once received a fortune cookie that read: “Speak less of your plans, you’ll get more done.” What’s one project that you’ve been sitting on and thinking about but haven’t made progress on? What’s stopping you? What would happen if you actually went for it and did it?

(Author: Laura Kimball)

0 comments:

Post a Comment