Pages

Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Five Years

There will be an agreement in whatever variety of actions, so they be each honest and natural in their hour. – Ralph Waldo Emerson

What would you say to the person you were five years ago? What will you say to the person you’ll be in five years?
~~~~~

Dear Me-5,

Hey buddy!  Let me start by expressing how much I admire you.  I know that you doubted yourself and your abilities from time to time; felt a little behind because you didn't have a plan.  Well, let me be the first to tell you that you end up just fine!  You have a good job, good friends, good apartment, good books, you're in good health.  Brother, LIFE. IS. GOOD!    Some people are going to come in your life really soon who will look at you with disdain because you don't have the 3, 5, 7 year goals set.  They'll really give you the side-eye when you don't know whats happening next semester!  Don't let it bother you.  When its all said and done they'll be watching you in wonder at what you've accomplished.  They are trapped in the wisdom of the world that tells you to set SMART goals and plan, PLan, PLAN!  Me-5, you have a way of navigating Life and it hasn't led you astray.  When your heart tells you to go a direction, you go.  People can fill your head with all types of nonsense, but your heart was filled with God at birth.  Trust the messages.  Great job!  

One last thing...    You had me at hello ;)
~~~

Dear Me+5,

I just got finished writing to Me-5, I sure wish it was you reassuring me!  What can I tell you, that you don't already know?  When I wrote Me-5, I told him to trust his heart.  I pray you continued to do the same.  It's a good heart.  It's the reason that I'm having the opportunity to write you this letter.  He did fine, I'm doing fine, and I know you're going to do fine as well.  Me+5, I guess the only thing I can tell you is that I trust you with my life, literally and figuratively.  Remember to humble yourself without hiding your gifts, respect everyone around you despite their beliefs, and continue to strive to be a better man.  Rest assured, I'll be doing what I can now to help you along.  You're a solid brother!  Peace and Love!


Today I remembered that having patience with others is intimately tied with letting my expectations go.



0 comments:

Post a Comment