Pages

Tuesday, July 19, 2011

The Primal Man

For the past 6 years, I've had what many would call a decently healthy lifestyle.

I ate the appropriate foods most of the time (save for a couple of months occasions here and there when I would frequent restaurants... frequently), I never smoked, drink regularly but not to excess (usually), and exercise regularly; cardio and weight training.

That's great.

Recently, I've been playing around with diets due to knowing people who are passionate (like, hardcore) about the appropriate diet being the foundation of optimal health; a sentiment I wholeheartedly share.  For the past 2 months, I've been 95% vegetarian.  It wasn't that bad and was actually an interesting challenge to see if I could adapt to that lifestyle since it was my third attempt at making the switch.

That being said, I've recently been reading MarksDailyApple; a blog about the primal/paleo diet.  This diet essentially says that eating grains = silliness.  Proponents of this lifestyle say that mankind evolved eating animals and vegetables/fruits, grain was introduced into our diet relatively recently and has properties that are unhealthy for human consumption.  Your diet, according to this school of thought, should consist of protein, fats, and low carbs (compared to conventional wisdom) attained from vegetables and fruits.  They state that the Inuit people eat high fat, high protein diets, and are still healthier than us!  

Wait, it gets weirder.

The Primal diet is also a fan of something called Intermittent Fasting. Get this, they say that the primal man operated on a feast and famine schedule: essentially if they didn't hunt successfully, they didn't eat.  Makes sense.  We see the same thing happen with carnivorous animals today.  The benefits of intermittent fasting are the most striking.  They state that it manages insulin levels, increases growth hormone, increase neural plasticity, reduce proliferation of cancer growth, and more!  

I should have starved myself sooner...

I have to be honest, I don't know if I buy it all quite yet, but I'm intrigued enough to give it a try and see how I feel.  If I get the results they say I should, then consider me converted.  I'll keep doing my research, but so far everything is looking legit.  I'll try to stick with this for the next month while keeping up with my exercise.

Next Steps?

FRIDAY I'm going to get my body fat and weight measurements to track my progress.


RIGHT NOW, I'm eating some pasta, cheesy potatos, porkchops, and a hearty serving of apple crisp (consider it a last meal before Jurassic Park),


and TOMORROW...

I'M GOING PRIMAL!


I can't WAIT to look and feel like this guy! ;)