Pages

Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Not Bound By Time

I want to start this post by saying that I'm very grateful and blessed to be able to see the lessons that life has to teach. I thank God for that. That being said, let me tell you a story.

I have a friend (in reality an old romantic interest) who is bad with remembering what some would consider important dates, i.e. when we got together, birthdays, etc. We had since broken up but ended on good terms. She, in classic form, texted me happy birthday a month before my actual birthday which I thought was hilarious but which embarrassed her.

Time passes and my actual birthday comes and goes with no word from her. I had no expectations of her contacting me, but it would have been nice to have heard from her. Eventually, I learn that she didn't contact me for two-fold reasons: 1) she was too embarrassed about the birthday mix-up and 2) She didn't think I cared whether or not she contacted me.

Last week (and mind you, my birthday was 2 months ago), I received a card from my little brother wishing me happy birthday. Even though this card was VERY late, I was moved by it. As I read the card, the fact that it was 2 months after the fact was irrelevant. I was moved more by the fact that he felt it important to send the card even though he hadn't done it closer to my birthdate. In my opinion that validates the gesture for two reasons: 1. It was a gesture of love that was free from ego (he could have saved the card for next year) 2. he understood that expressions of love are not bound by time.

It's always a good time to tell people you love them, to show love, to be love. Why would you wait to put that positive energy into the world? If you have something on your heart, then you should do it, regardless of time and situation. Show love without expecting a particular outcome, praise or otherwise. Do it because your heart demands it and let it go. Who wouldn't respond to that?

V.

0 comments:

Post a Comment